WELCOME ADDRESS BY MOSES ESSIEN, PEOPLE'S DEMOCRATIC PARTY (PDP) GOVERNORSHIP ASPIRANT FOR AKWA IBOM STATE ON THE OCCASION OF A FUNDRAISING PROGRAMME ORGANIZED BY AKWA IBOM STATE ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA (USA), INC. LOS ANGELES UNITED STATES CHAPTER, TODAY SATURDAY, 14TH OCTOBER 2006
With deepest sense of respect, I acknowledge
and welcome the presence of God the Father, God the Son and God
the Holy Spirit in this gathering today. I welcome all of you
distinguished sons, daughters, elders, statesmen, in-laws, friends,
and well-wishers of Akwa Ibom State for sparing your very precious
time to honour this invitation. Permit me to acknowledge with
every sense of humility, regards and honour that in the sight
of God all of you are very special.
You are special because at every point in human history when God is about to do a thing, He seeks out for people whose hearts and spirits He has prepared for that purpose. And for every vision that God gives, He never fails to send helpers, so that He alone will be glorified.
Today distinguished ladies and gentlemen, you constitute that very special class of people whom God has carefully selected to fulfill His purpose for humanity in Akwa Ibom State, come 2007.
I stand here before you great men and women to congratulate you as you have been deemed fit by the Most High God to partake in the divine vision and mission to put MOSES ESSIEN as the next Governor of Akwa Ibom State, come 2007, through your sacrifices, financial and material assistance. Once again, I say congratulations.
By the contributions, which you are going to make today, you will be making the statement, that you accept God to use you to bring about a Government in Akwa Ibom State where the fear of God will prevail, a Government that will pursue the good life and collective well-being of the people, particularly the rural poor, a Government that will apply the resources of the people in the right direction, a Government where transparency, probity and accountability will be the rule. In summary, a Government where God will use you to put your brother and friend, MOSES ESSIEN as the next Governor of Akwa Ibom State.
Distinguished ladies and gentlemen, in view of the fact that most of us do not live at our home state in Nigeria, I am compelled to bring to you a brief picture of the situation back there. I report with pains in my heart that as we gather here today, there are families back in Akwa Ibom State that will go to bed without food tonight.
There are families back home whose Children have dropped out of school not because the parents do not appreciate the value of Education, but in a situation, where a family cannot afford N50.00 (Fifty Naira) equivalent of USD 0.35 (Thirty five cents) to buy three (3) cups of garri of 6cm capacity each for the Children, how then do you expect such family to mobilize the sum of N1,670.00 (One Thousand Six Hundred and Seventy Naira) equivalent of USD 12 (Twelve Dollars) to pay for their Children's tuition in our public schools (SS1 – 3 category) besides other charges.
Distinguished ladies and gentlemen, you will permit me not to tell you more of our home truth and realities in Akwa Ibom State, but suffice it to say that it is in response to the tears, afflictions, pains, and sorrows of our people that it has pleased God to bring me out to be used for the work of restoration, healing and transformation of our land. This justifies why you have to rise to the challenge with the financial and material resources that God has given to you, to effect a change of Government in Akwa Ibom state come 2007 with MOSES ESSIEN as the Governor to the glory of God.
Distinguished ladies and gentlemen, besides your financial donations, my Campaign Organization will equally appreciate the donations of such facilities as cars, buses and public address systems, which constitute some of the major requirements in this exercise.
HIGHLIGHTS OF PLAN OF ACTION
Despite the fact that today was not for presentation of political programmes, but permit me to say that in highlighting a few of the programmes contained in our policy and development blueprint for Akwa Ibom State, your support for this noble cause should be considered as an authentic support for:
- Free, Qualitative and Compulsory Education.
- Food Security for all through Integrated and Mechanized Farming Programmes.
- Establishment of a minimum of Three Hundred Industries with Modern Industrial Estates.
- Qualitative Health-Care Delivery Service for all.
- Free Health-Care Services for the Aged, Children, Pregnant Women and Disabled Persons.
- Multi-City Development and Transformation of Uyo, the State Capital, into Ultra-Modern City.
- Building of a Minimum of Three Hundred Units of Three-Bedroom Apartments Annually in each of the 31 Local Government Areas.
- Creation of a Minimum of One Million Jobs.
- Building of an International Wholesale-Oriented Market.
- Provision of Infrastructure in both Urban and Rural Areas including the Dualization of Inter-Local Government Roads.
- Establishment of International Research Institutes for Strategic Economic and Technological Advancement.
- Building of a FIFA Standard Stadium Complex.
- Establishment of an International Seaport.
- Petroleum Exploration, Production and Refining through State-Private Sector Partnership.
- Maintenance of Efficient Waste Disposal and Management Systems.
- Development of Modern Road Networks, Construction of Intra-State Railway System and the Provision of Modern Passenger and Cargo Ferries for Riverine Transportation and Trade.
- Building of an International Conference and Trade Exhibition Centre.
- Completion of all On-going Projects of the Present Administration.
It is in deep consideration and conviction of pursuing all these and other very high humanitarian ideals and services that I call on your highly respected persons to rise to the challenge of supporting this worthy cause, by contributing financially and materially to my campaign for Governor of Akwa Ibom State, come 2007.
Thank you very much and God bless.
Long Live Akwa Ibom State
Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria
People's Democratic Party (PDP)
Governorship Aspirant for Akwa Ibom State Of Nigeria.
|• Breakfast meeting for Heads of Churches.|
|• Expression of interest for All Akwa Ibomites.|
|• Courtesy call on Ahta of Oro / Oro Council of Chiefs.|
|• Press conference to mark formal declaration.|
|• Declaration for Governorship.|