A LETTER FROM MOSES ESSIEN TO ALL AKWA IBOMITES
September 19, 2007.
Dear Akwa Ibomite,
MY INTENTION TO CONTEST THE 2007 GOVERNORSHIP ELECTION IN AKWA IBOM STATE
In obedience to the Almighty God, and in total submission to the compelling wishes of the good people of Akwa Ibom State, for my leadership in the governance of the State, I have the honour to inform you of my resolve to contest and by the special grace of God, win the 2007 Gubernatorial Election in Akwa Ibom State of Nigeria on the platform of our great party, the Peopleís Democratic Party (P.D.P).
My confidence to win overwhelmingly is first in God and also in the ever-increasing outpour of support and demand on me, by the good people of Akwa Ibom State, for a visionary and result-oriented leadership which I have been known for, having been tested and proven in my earlier capacity as Commissioner for Education, Youths and Sports and Member, Akwa Ibom State Executive Council.
The significant difference created during my period in office speaks for itself. It is on record that I led the most effective struggle ever, for the restoration of the fundamental values of justice, discipline, sanity and efficiency in the management of human and material resources, and respect for the dignity of the human person across board in Akwa Ibom State.
Of particular interest also was my initiative and establishment of the Akwa Ibom State School of Remedial Studies (now Akwa Ibom State College of Arts and Science), which today is a centre of excellence. Besides, I successfully arrested the earlier decline in the number of Akwa Ibom State indigenes admitted into Tertiary Institutions all over the country. The details of my other past achievements, which cannot be contained here, are chronicled in the annals of Akwa Ibom State history.
Similarly, with your support, we shall harness our resources (human and material) and shall in the context of the National Economic Empowerment Development Strategy (NEEDS) and the Millennium Development Goals (MDG), transform our dear Akwa Ibom State into a land of fulfillment with superlative socio-economic infrastructure, viable economy, efficient social welfare system, functional public institutions / utilities, tested human capital, zero unemployment, improved standard of living, sound technological base, guaranteed public order and security and a beautiful culture to show the world. (See attached highlights of my plan of action).
I want to acknowledge, with humility, the concern and genuine commitment of all the Political Class, Leaders of Thought, Youths, Women, the Media, Religious, Socio-Cultural and Professional Organizations across the State, to mention but a few, who have taken it upon themselves to champion this cause, which they are confident will guarantee the prosperity, success and exceeding greatness of Akwa Ibom State.
One thing that I am very sure of, in this whole unfolding development, is that God has sent me, MOSES, to transform the lives of the people of Akwa Ibom State and restore all the rich blessings and abundant opportunities for individual and collective prosperity in the land.
It is for these reasons that I am calling on all Nigerians, the Akwa Ibomites in particular, at home and abroad to join hands and stand by me so that together we can salvage our State to guarantee the future of our children and our childrenís children.
The time for that is now. Please rise and be part of this divine intervention in Akwa Ibom State and posterity will never forget you.
Long live Akwa Ibom State
Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria
People's Democratic Party (P.D.P)
Governorship Aspirant for
Akwa Ibom State of Nigeria
HIGHLIGHTS OF PLAN OF ACTION
- Free, Qualitative and Compulsory Education.
- Food Security for all through Integrated and Mechanized Farming Programmes.
- Establishment of a minimum of Three Hundred Industries with Modern Industrial Estates.
- Qualitative Health-Care Delivery Service for all.
- Free Health-Care Services for the Aged, Children, Pregnant Women and Disabled Persons.
- Multi-City Development and Transformation of Uyo, the State Capital, into Ultra-Modern City.
- Building of a Minimum of Three Hundred Units of Three-Bedroom Apartments Annually in each of the 31 Local Government Areas.
- Creation of a Minimum of One Million Jobs.
- Building of an International Wholesale-Oriented Market.
- Provision of Infrastructure in both Urban and Rural Areas including the Dualization of Inter-Local Government Roads.
- Establishment of International Research Institutes for Strategic Economic and Technological Advancement.
- Building of a FIFA Standard Stadium Complex.
- Establishment of an International Seaport.
- Petroleum Exploration, Production and Refining through State-Private Sector Partnership.
- Maintenance of Efficient Waste Disposal and Management Systems.
- Development of Modern Road Networks, Construction of Intra-State Railway System and the Provision of Modern Passenger and Cargo Ferries for Riverine Transportation and Trade.
- Building of an International Conference and Trade Exhibition Centre.
- Completion of all On-going Projects of the Present Administration.
|• Breakfast meeting for Heads of Churches.|
|• Courtesy call on Ahta of Oro / Oro Council of Chiefs.|
|• Fundraising by Akwa Ibomites in Los Angeles.|
|• Press conference to mark formal declaration.|
|• Declaration for Governorship.|